Indianapolis Colts… You are officially on the clock, as the order is set for April’s NFL Draft. Before we know who will return to school, who will bomb the Wonderlick test, and who will WOW at the combine… let’s speculate at how the top 15 selections may pan out.
1. Indianapolis Colts: The rumor mill is abuzz with talk of the Colts selecting Robert Griffin III over Andrew Luck. If anyone you know says that, punch them in the face. The Colts stink, and have plenty of holes that need filled. With that said, they won’t pass on the can’t-miss Stanford signal caller.
Who they will draft: Andrew Luck. QB, Stanford.
Who they may draft: Trade the pick for the type of ransom that would make a Lannister blush. Either way, Andrew Luck is going number one.
2. St. Louis Rams: The Rams have quite a few holes as well. The line is terrible, their running back is slowing down and Brandon Lloyd probably isn’t coming back. Furthermore, their defense isn’t exactly the Steel Curtain. Lots of ways the new regime in St. Louis can go.
Who they will draft: Matt Kalil, OT USC… if they keep the pick
Who they may draft: This pick has “Dan Snyder Overpaying” written all over it. I’d guess RG3 goes at number two to the Washington Redskins.
3. Minnesota Vikings: Tackle is a huge need for the Vikes, and if RG3 goes at two, this pick is a no brainer, it will be Kalil. If not, Minnesota could address defense with the number three pick.
Who they will draft: Morris Claiborne. CB, LSU
Who they may draft: Kalil if he is there, or deal the pick to the ‘Skins.
4. Cleveland Browns: The Browns focused on defense in the past few drafts, and the result has been an offense that has an Ambien-like effect on anyone who watches them. Part of that is due to the lackluster play of Colt McCoy… part of it has to do with the skill position failures. It’s time to bring in some playmakers.
Who they will draft: Robert Griffin III. QB, Baylor… if he’s there.
Who they may draft: Justin Blackmon. WR, Oklahoma State
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The head coach is gone, and cornerback Ronde Barber isn’t far behind. Using a top 5 pick on a cornerback when you play in the same division as Roddy White, Marques Colston, and Steve Smith isn’t an awful idea.
Who they will draft: Dre Kirkpatrick. CB, Alabama
Who they may draft: Morris Claiborne if he doesn’t go to Minnesota at three.
6. Washington Redskins: I don’t think the Redskins will be picking here, but for the sake of consistency… The Redskins need a quarterback, and if they don’t move up to snag RG3, they’ll be forced to reach here.
Who they will draft: Landry Jones. QB, Oklahoma
Who they may draft: Justin Blackmon.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Maurice Jones Drew won the rushing title facing 10 men in the box (that’s what she said) and Blaine Gabbert under center. Giving this team a weapon on the outside has to be a top priority, but the secondary is also a cause for concern.
Who they will draft: Michael Floyd. WR, Notre Dame
Who they may draft: Dre Kirkpatrick
8. Carolina Panthers: Cam can put points on the board in Carolina, but the defense is a wet paper bag. Defense is likely, but they may want to give their young signal caller another big play wide out to pair with 89.
Who they will draft: Devon Still. DT, Penn State
Who they may draft: Alshon Jeffery. WR, South Carolina
9. Miami Dolphins: Matt Barkley would have likely been taking his talents to South Beach, but will return to SoCal instead. That stings for Dolphin fans. Depth on the offensive line has to be the pick for Miami in the nine spot.
Who they will draft: Riley Reiff. OT, Iowa.
Who they may draft: David DeCastro. OG, Stanford.
10. Buffalo Bills: Gotta stop Tom Brady twice a year? Better load up on defense. Marcel Darrius was a nice start last year. Look for Buffalo to continue that trend.
Who they will draft: Courtney Upshaw. LB, Alabama
Who they may draft: Quinton Couples. LB, UNC
11. Kansas City Chiefs: Jamaal Charles and Matt Cassell will be back to help the offense, but they need protected. Look for Kansas City to do just that at pick eleven.
Who they will draft: David DeCastro
Who they may draft: Riley Reiff
12. Seattle Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch is a free agent. Should he leave, there is a gaping hole at running back. Should he stay, look for Pete Carroll to add more pieces to an already solid defense.
Who they will draft: Trent Richardson. RB, Alabama.
Who they may draft: Quinton Couples.
13. Arizona Cardinals: The Cardinals need to protect Kevin Kolb. Or John Skelton. Or whatever bum they line up behind center.
Who they will draft: Jonathan Martin. OT, Stanford.
Who they may draft: DeCastro or Reiff, if either are still on the board.
Who they will draft: Alfonzo Denard. CB, Nebraska
Who they may draft: Stephon Gilmore. CB, South Carolina
15. Philadelphia Eagles: So maybe the “Dream Team” defense didn’t work. Time to retool, rework, and reload. I look for the Eagles to address their defense.
Who they will draft: Zack Brown. OLB, UNC.
Who they may draft: Luke Kuechly. LB, Boston College.
Check back after the combine to see an updated version, and follow me on Twitter at JockPostDT to discuss what you like, what you hate, and your teams draft needs.► Read more articles written by DT.
3 Responses to “JOCKpost’s 2012 NFL Mock Draft aka The Best Mock Draft Ever”